Sunday 22 June 2008

Gleneagles


As part of my 40th I was asked what i wanted for presents. I decided it would be good to do activities and see friends and family rather than go mad on things!
My dear wife organised a surprise trip for me on the Friday before my 40th. 7am flight from Southampton to Edinburgh, pick up rental car then 1hr drive up to Gleneagles for 200 clays and a gun dog lesson, before heading back home on the late night flight.
Shooting was great. Didn't miss much and i always like shooting at gleneagles. Staff are great, layout is varied and i always have a good time. Was not sure of the gun dog lesson going up - but i found it educational and great fun. Gleneagles is the only place in the UK where you can "borrow" a dog and learn. Everywhere else you have to take your own dog.
Rental company gave me a convertible. Blue sky's all day, 21 degrees, no rain or wind. Both flights on-time. Perfect day.

2 comments:

J said...

So what was the gun dog lesson like??

Happy birthday, and welcome to middle age! (You'll need to update your profile now!)

I said...

Gun dog lesson was good.

Explained how to use the dog whistle and hand signals to direct the dog.

Used various training devices. Rubber pigeon (with floppy neck to simulate dead bird), tube (with a shotgun cartridge that went off on impact once thrown), rabbit skin (for scent) and a basic rubber training to practice getting the dog to drop the retreived item.

tried
- simple retreive
- marked retreive - where it's thrown and the dog keeps eye on it!
- hidden retreive - hidden before it comes out, and its blind to dog so you have to direct it!
- multiple retreive - send out to one, stop and the redirect to 2nd one!
- water retreive - middle of lake + got to practice the "shake" command!

i liked the lesson. I think i got taught more than the dog! (also think mrs I is working on me to get a dog!)