Friday 8 June 2007

Nordic Walking


Was introduced to Nordic walking at a work off site. Initially i was a bit sceptical. But it's won me over! Let me tell you what it is then i can explain the benefits!
Nordic walking is basically Nordic skiing without the ski's. You walk and propel yourself along with the poles (made of carbon fibre with titanium spikes on the bottom!). Exercising this way is 20% more efficient than normal walking and it not only exercises the legs but arms and torso! I can burn 1,000+ calories in just over an hour.
The benefits. I'm losing weight, getting out in the fresh air and doing exercise that does not cause impact injuries. All-in-all a good exercise for my weight loss. Since i have started i've lost 6lbs in weight due to Nordic walking.

3 comments:

J said...

Not come across this before, but it looks interesting. Still a bit beyond me as to how this works though - do you walk faster this way or just expend extra effort pushing upwards?

I said...

you do end up walking a bit faster as you get fitter. You keep poles 90 degress to arms and push back - which help propell yourself forward. You do end up increasing your stride as well. You can run with them as well....but i'm not there yet.

For more expert advice see http://www.nordicwalking.co.uk/

Netty said...

I do Nordic Walking in Wales where people slowly show an interest, more in South Wales. Yes, with the poles you automatically walk faster! It is fun. Annette Strauch x